Sunday 31 December 2017

Leopard Print Simplicity 1070 Crop Top


Instagram is a useful little tool for the modern woman. Not just handy for archiving gig pictures and checking out your OkCupid date before you agree to meet, but also connecting with people who share your passion. People who sadly, you don't just bump into on the street often enough.


A couple of months back, Instagram's algorithms bought together myself and More Sewing and our shared love of fabric sparked idea of a collaboration. So before I waffle on about my make, go and check out the More Sewing website, give them a follow on Insta and maybe spend a few of your Christmas pennies on a treat for yourself.


I was lucky enough to receive this lush leopard print jersey in the post the other week, which is just what I needed to make that second Simplicity 1070 Stretch Crop Top that I mentioned in my post.


My last croppy top using this pattern turned out a little tight under the arms. I did a bit of reading up to find that the alteration is pretty simple, just scoop out as much as necessary from the top of the side seams, then match this on the actual sleeve pieces. I took out 2cm from the back and front pieces which set my armholes to where they should be.


Like my last one, I used the pattern for the longer length top but took some off of the bottom. I decided to hem the sleeves before sewing the sleeve seam this time. As the hem is so wide (2 inches) but so narrow it's hard to get the machine in to sew the hem. Was so much easier to do this while the sleeve was still flat. I love these wide hems! And also the sleeve length, I love that too.


I took about 1 cm off of the suggested neckband length. I pinned on the original length to the neck to find it gaped just a little at the shoulders so knew I needed to take a little off of the length.


The top is a great fit and I'm super pleased with the armhole alteration. The only problem I'm finding with both of these tops is that they have the tendency to rise up a little when I don't want them to. I think this is because they are tighter across the bust than they are around the waist. Can anyone confirm? Should I loosen off a little around the chest if I make another?


I've got a bit of fabric left. I think I'm going to try and squeeze a little circle skirt out of the remainder, then I can go full cave girl!!


Thanks again to More Sewing for the fabric. There is so much good stuff on their site, or you can pop in store if you're down Sussex way. I'm told that in the new year there will be a pattern range coming out so keep your eyes peeled!


Happy New Year stitchers! Can't wait to see what we'll achieve in 2018

x

Location: The House Skatepark, Sheffield
Currently listening to: Alone, Horsebeach

No comments:

Post a Comment