Sunday 5 November 2017

Simplicity 1070 Stretch Crop Top


The big draw to the Simplicity 1070 pattern is the jacket pattern which I've already had a go at, which meant in the past I totally overlooked the crop top pattern which has my name all over it.


The pattern packet features a lovely leopard print crop top with three quarter length sleeves. So me! Sadly all out of leopard print, but did have plenty Autumnal orange left over from my skater skirt. The pattern only took up about a meter of fabric in total. I was umming and ahhing which size to cut, even looking on actual measurements (which should be smaller than the body due to the stretch of the fabric) I decided to cut a size down from what closest matched my measurements. Tight and cropped!!


The pattern gives choice to make either a cropped or a full length top. I was drawn to the shorter of the two but with my winter abs (!) on the way I thought it might be better to add a little extra length in! The longer version is literally the same cut only longer in the body to reach the hips. A bit too long if anything!! So I decided to cut the long version a little shorter to get perfect length. The top features a two inch hem on the bottom and the sleeves so bear that in mind when altering length.


The fit was good- a good decision to cut a size 10, though was quite baggy in the arm area, so I took out a few cms from the underarm seam from just above the elbow up to the arm hole seam and gradually back out to the side seam of the body.


The neckband length in the pattern was a little too long for my neck hole. This happens when your fabric is stretchier than the pattern suggests but shouldn't really cause any major problems. I always pin the neckband on first then try on to assess how it sits. If it's too long then it will stick up a bit funny on the shoulders, too tight and the top will pucker around the neck. It can be hard to tell exactly what's going on when it's all pinned up and also a bit awkward to get on and off, so be careful! Even after all that I managed to cut the band a little too short!! Agh! Any shorter and it would have been a disaster, but I think I just about got away with it.


The 2 inch hems on the sleeves are a bit tricky as the armhole is narrow and you need to get your needle right inside. It's easiest to sew from the inside, so is a bit of a surprise how your stitching looks on the front when you get it off the machine! I would have loved to use a twin needle but it just wasn't possible for the sleeves.


The bottom has a 2 inch hem too, which I did do with a twin needle. The top flares out at the side seams for the hips, making it impossible to hem as it is so much wider at the bottom. To avoid this I took the shaping out of the side seams and the hem allowance fitted inside nicely.


Has anyone else made anything else from the Simplicity 1070 pattern? This top is simple but a lovely wardrobe staple for Autumn

x

Location: Norfolk Park, Sheffield
Currently listening to: Rolling out, Moon Duo

No comments:

Post a Comment